Thursday, February 3, 2011

Eat Your Vegetables


Happy Superbowl day to everyone! While I watch the Packers cream the Steelers, I thought I would update my blog. When I made the Eggplant Parmigiana, I also made this delicious Caesar Salad from the January issue of Martha Stewart Living. It turned out really well. A little of this dressing goes a long way, so add a little dressing at a time when you are tossing your salad.

First, we made our own croutons. Jono was in charge of this part.
Ingredients:
12 slices baguette (1/4 inch thick)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using the 2 whole garlic cloves, rub both sides of each baguette slice. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until godlen, about 12 minutes. Let cool. Break each crouton in half. (Jono broke them in fourths instead.)

Caesar Salad Dressing:
Ingredients:
1 chopped garlic clove
1/4 cup olive oil chilled
1 oil-packed anchovy fillet chopped
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus shavings
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 dash Worcestershire sauce

Instructions:
1. Puree chopped garlic, anchovy, yolk, grated cheese, juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor. Pulse in 1/4 cup oil.
2. Toss 6 heads baby romaine lettuce halved (leave core intact) or 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce with 1/4 cup dressing and croutons. Season with pepper. Garnish with cheese shavings.

After I made the salad dressing, I realized it just tasted like flavored olive oil. So I added another dash of Worcestershire and Jono added a half tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Season to taste. We also cheated and used a mix of baby lettuces because I like variety.

Ooo. The Steelers are catching up. :) Go, Packers!

*Special thanks to Mr. Dave for the pics again!






2 comments:

  1. Can you make croutons out of any kind of bread? I accidentally forgot to buy a baguette at the store and I have a loaf of bread lying around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jono also made them with pumpernickel. I think you can use any bread you want. It is based on your personal taste.

    ReplyDelete